A Student Covering News in Gainesville

Much of my college experience since I transferred to the University of Florida my junior year has been spent in the College of Journalism and Communications but even more specifically at the Innovation News Center.

As a telecommunications student, I cover stories every week for the First at Five newscast. Sometimes these stories will take me miles away, other times they are only a couple steps. Being a student journalist definitely has its ups and downs and the television business is never as glamorous as is it seems on TV.

I often focus on rallies and protests when I'm reporting for WUFT News. One of my favorite things about this beat is the inspiration and energy that comes from covering these kind of events. Since they are often moments of advocacy, it is always easy to find people who are willing to talk.

You can find my article "University of Florida Students Defend DACA" on WUFT.org. This has both a written and video piece on my work covering the DACA rally that took place at the University of Florida. It was a full day of following this crowd and hearing different stories that impact all the students at UF in one way or another.

Comments

Popular Posts