Your First College Apartment

The most exciting thing for me when I made my decision to move away for college was getting my own apartment with three of my best friends. I couldn't wait to have my own space to decorate however I wanted and do whatever I wanted. Yes, your own place is pretty amazing but it definitely has it's ups and downs.

In this post, I will highlight the top three things you can expect when you get your first apartment in college.

1. Signing a lease

In a college town, it's important to realize that some apartments are year-long leases and others are semester-long leases. Take a careful look at how long your lease will end. If you know you won't be here in the summer, it is probably a good idea to look for a lease that ends in early May. Also, be sure to ask what the fee would be if you chose to break the leasing contract for any reason.


2. Decorating your apartment

As excited as you may be to decorate your apartment with your own style, be mindful of your roommates. You may not have the same style as they do and if you choose to split the costs its important to decide ahead of time who will take what at the end of your apartment lease.

3. Owning your new independence

It may hit you like a hard brick that you will need to do so many things that you may not have had to do when you lived with your parents including cleaning, cooking and repairing. It may seem impossible, but you will get the hang out if and you definitely should push yourself to get used to this new lifestyle of being independent.

I hope these three things will give you a peak into what you can expect when you are on your way to your first apartment in college. You will face challenges within each of these bullet points but it is important to at least be aware you are not the only one.

Comments

Popular Posts