Managing a job in college

If you're anything like me, you survive going away to college thanks to the glory of financial aid. My parents are able to support my apartment rent which goes a very long way but everything else is pretty much up to me. Yes, that includes groceries and bare necessities.

To me, having a job in college is a no-brainer. Since I was 15 I've always had a job so when I first got to UF I found myself with way too much free time for my sanity. Although it can be hectic to have a job while juggling classes and a social life, it is both rewarding and disciplinary. As I've mentioned in my previous posts, life in college is all about time management.

Here are my best tips for managing a job in college:

1. Choose wisely

If you can help it, don't choose just any job. Choose something that you're interested in and can benefit you either in your professional or personal life. It may also help to get an on-campus job to make your commute to class from work easier.

2. Network 

Whether you have an on-campus or off-campus job, you can gain so many "work friends" from a job. It can be a co-worker or even your boss or a customer or client, a job can open endless opportunities for networking. Not only will these people be your friends but they can also advise and open new doors for you.

3. Be honest

Personally, I work 15 hours a week and it can be challenging. Let your boss know of your availability and if you are struggling with the amount of hours you are working per week. You shouldn't have to sacrifice your grades for a job in college so make sure you are honest with yourself and with your supervisor about your situation.

4. Money management 

The best part of any job can often be the paycheck that comes with it. But, it's a good reminder to budget your paycheck. Don't spend all your hard work on one weekend and always remember your needs such as bills, gas, and groceries before you pay for your wants such as new clothes, going out, and fancy meals.

I hope these tips will help you realize you can juggle classes and a job in college. Working at GatorWell has been one of the most rewarding decisions I've made in college and I want it to seem less scary to anyone that is interested in taking on the challenge.



Comments

Popular Posts